The Fresno Unified Athletic Department believes our students are the focus of our endeavors. The Fresno Unified Athletic Department believes that students enjoy the pursuit of personal excellence through athletic competition. The Fresno Unified Athletic Department believes athletics is an integral part of the education process. Through athletics, students learn important life lessons such as competitive spirit, striving to achieve to the best of their ability, teamwork, structure, setting and achieving goals, overcoming adversity, respect for others, sportsmanship, and character.
Athletics is an excellent means of bringing together, home, school, community, and culture, while contributing to the personal growth, and education of students. Fresno Unified’s athletic program will provide students the opportunity to compete in athletic contests with other schools. The athletic program will contribute in a positive way toward the total development of participants; aid the student in acquiring new friendships, community spirit, school spirit, competitive spirit, and good sportsmanship.
The success of Fresno Unified’s Athletic Program depends on quality coaching, the belief that we can achieve, effective management, and supervision of the program.
Focus on Athletics
The Governing Board recognizes that extracurricular and co curricular activities enrich the educational and social development and experiences of students. The District shall encourage and support student participation in co/extracurricular activities without compromising the integrity and purpose of the education program.
“Students will be provided opportunities to develop socially, emotionally, and physically through participation in athletics. Students will be encouraged to become involved, to help strengthen personal values and character; and understand the importance of teamwork, and the relationship of athletics to academic achievement.”
- Every person enjoys the pursuit of excellence
- Rules consistently applied create order and discipline
- Teamwork and communication are keys to success
- Every person needs to feel and to be treated with a sense of pride, dignity and respect
- Commitment and dedication are essential
- The only limitations a person has are those they set for themselves
- High expectations equal self-confidence
- Success comes from ones belief in themselves
- Each person deserves respect
- Respect, honesty and trust are essentials to productive relationships
- Life is a series of choices that result in consequences